Lona by Chef Richard Sandoval kicks off Día De Los Muertos festivities this week
Tampa Marriott Water Street’s newly-opened Lona by Chef Richard Sandoval announced their Día De Los Muertos celebrations recently. To commemorate the occasion plus the rich history of Hispanic culture, the restaurant kicks off the holiday festivities early with a one-night-only dining experience followed by the launch of a limited time pairing menu.
“Our culinary team has crafted dishes incorporating elements from the bar, while our mixologists created drinks infused with elements from the kitchen. It’s an immersive way to illustrate the unity of life and death – the true essence of Día de los Muertos,”says Chef Sandoval.
The dining experience hosted by Chef Sandoval is Wednesday at 7 p.m.; tickets for the dinner are $95. Guests have the chance to indulge in a 3-course dinner where Sandoval introduces each course and shares the meaning behind each dish. Each course highlights the vibrant flavors of the Day of the Dead and is paired with a handcrafted cocktail.
Here’s what’s on the menu for the night:
- Empanadas de Muertos paired with a Blood Orange Margarita
- Filete en Mole Negro paired with Lona’s signature Sangria
- Caramelized Pumpkin Crema with an El Jefe Mexican Espresso Martini
Following the dinner, Lona launches Día De Los Muertos offerings will be available for lunch and dinner daily between October 3-November 5. Featured pairings include:
- Empanadas de Muertos ($15) with guajillo, corn masa, cheese, chicken tinga, crema fresca, avocado, cilantro purée paired with an Avocado Mezcal Shot del maguey vida mezcal, avocado, and tajín
- Blood Orange Margarita ($17) with del maguey vida mezcal, blood orange, lime, lemon, agave paired with ceviche.
Lona by Chef Richard Sandoval is located at the Tampa Marriott Water Street hotel at 505 Water St. The restaurant’s hours of operation is Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-2 p.m. for lunch, 4 p.m.-11 p.m. for dinner; Saturday and Sunday all day dining is 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Happy Hour is daily 4 p.m.-6 p.m. All Lona guests receive 3 hours of complimentary valet parking.